Posted on December 8, 2014 11:14 am
The club has now managed to register a charity and it is now up to the members to decide whether or not to transfer the assets of Teesdale Sailing Club Limited to the charity “Teesdale Sailing and Watersports Club”.
Our charity number is 1159 463 and you can find the details in the register of charities. Just put Teesdale in the charity search box – we are on page 2.
The registered charitable objects are:
(1) TO PROMOTE THE COMMUNITY PARTICIPATION IN HEALTHY RECREATION FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE INHABITANTS OF TEESDALE AND THE SURROUNDING AREA BY THE PROVISION OF FACILITIES FOR SAILING AND OTHER WATER SPORTS.
(2) TO ADVANCE THE PHYSICAL EDUCATION OF YOUNG PEOPLE, ESPECIALLY BUT NOT EXCLUSIVELY, OF TEESDALE AND THE SURROUNDING AREA BY PROVIDING AND ASSISTING IN THE PROVISION OF COACHING, EQUIPMENT AND FACILITIES FOR SAILING AND OTHER WATER SPORTS.
(3) TO HELP YOUNG PEOPLE, ESPECIALLY BUT NOT EXCLUSIVELY THROUGH LEISURE TIME ACTIVITIES, SO AS TO DEVELOP THEIR CAPABILITIES THAT THEY MAY GROW TO FULL MATURITY AS INDIVIDUALS AND MEMBERS OF SOCIETY.
By becoming a charity the club would have to undertake activities that promote its charitable objectives. There are 4 trustees and these can be added to or replaced as determined by the members.
There are several benefits for the club to become a charity and these include:
- It may be possible to gift aid membership fees
- Access to additional funding streams
- It may be possible to zero rate new buildings for VAT purposes (providing they are not used for business purposes)
- Avoiding the membership designation rules proposed in the revised CASC sheme (even our Commodore would fail to be counted as a member this year due to personal circumstances!)